Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 49

Thread: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

  1. #31
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    Quote Originally Posted by sup-rbeast View Post
    According to the paintings etc. in the gym at the town hall (old Bland/Carnes Middle School gym) Bland's mascot was the Buffalos.
    For some reason that does sound right.

    I might have some history here somewhere. I'll look later today.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  2. #32
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    Here's what I have found really quickly. Until Bland was built all African-American students from Big Stone and Appalachia attended Central High on Callahan Ave in Appalachia. After Bland was built they all attended Bland. Haven't found the team nicknames yet.

    Could Central have been the Buffalo's?

    I should see Garnett within the next 2 days, I'll get more info then if I haven't found anything on my own.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  3. #33
    Inactive Member simple man's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2008
    Posts
    1,001
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotch View Post
    Here's what I have found really quickly. Until Bland was built all African-American students from Big Stone and Appalachia attended Central High on Callahan Ave in Appalachia. After Bland was built they all attended Bland. Haven't found the team nicknames yet.

    Could Central have been the Buffalo's?

    I should see Garnett within the next 2 days, I'll get more info then if I haven't found anything on my own.
    And they didn'y really merge the schools- the kids went back to Appy and BSG where they lived to go to school.
    We'll keep the lights on for you.
    Spuds

  4. #34
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    Quote Originally Posted by Gotch View Post
    Could Central have been the Buffalo's?
    Inside the Gym at the town hall there are 4 mascots painted in separate places. There is one of each of the following :East Stone Gap Tigers, Big Stone Gap Buccaneers, Bland Buffalos, and Powell Valley Vikings. Each is painted in team colors. The ESG one is mostly Green and White. The BSG one is mostly a Dark Blue and Red. The Bland one is either a Dark Blue or Purple and Gold. And the PV one is the current team colors. So, I just always assumed those mascots were correct. I do know that Lynch's mascot was the Bulldogs tho cuz one of my older friends went to school there a long time ago.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  5. #35
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    Probably are correct then.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  6. #36
    Inactive Member Gotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 27th, 2003
    Posts
    2,592
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    Since his name came up.

    Rex Carnes was one of the two best teachers I ever had and the best one I had in High School.

    I understand that his win-loss record at Bland was pretty good too.
    [img]http://www.lutte-wrestling.com/old-train2.jpg[/img]

  7. #37
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    I went to Carnes Middle School for one year before they moved into the current PVMS..and they had a portrait of Mr. Carnes on display in the main hallway of the school until the day it closed. For all I know, it may still be hanging in the town hall.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  8. #38
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    Chubz, I have the entire 97 PV/Appy game on film. If you want to make a copy we can arrange something, I'm not loaning it out though (nothing against you just don't want to lose it). We can meet up and work something out if you'd like.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

  9. #39
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    How long til "The ball hit the ground" argument crops up on this one?
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  10. #40
    Inactive Member pvfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,518
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: PV Football Hiistory (Long)

    It didn't and they wouldn't have scored anwyay.
    [img]http://www.gifsoup.com/view7/2505516/brandon-phillips-dugout-dance-o.gif[/img]

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •